Skip to main content

Unedited.

Time check 6.34pm in Accra, Ghana. Pretty much every one of my colleagues has left for home and I sit here, somewhat immobile. It feels weird. I'm not paralyzed or anything of the sort, I just paused from work for a moment and realized how weird it feels to be sitting still and not necessarily doing anything. Even if it's just for a moment. There's a bevy of activity right outside, and the long march of Accra's evening traffic which I am not looking forward to in the least bit. And yet, here I (still) sit. While the traffic builds and the darkness grows, and most likely, the clouds gather. When did stillness get so uncomfortable? Like there's always something one should be doing, saying, thinking...

I went to Cape Coast with some classmates over the Republic Day holiday weekend, and it's funny how the silence and space (emptiness) which I disliked during my high school days were exactly what drew me to the Central region. Space, nature, time (unchecked). Sigh. Funny how that's now the luxury when it used to be in much abundance. Even then, with time and space within grips, I felt almost guilty to be taking that time "off". When there's so much to do? Most days I feel fatigued. Not just physically and/or emotionally, but with information. It's information overload these days and that makes finding the core/essence even harder. So much rubbish out there, all for us to sieve through. The question is, do we even know how to? I'm just free-writing here so no need to go looking for any subliminal messages. (And why is it even my business who's a-searching for subliminal messages or not?)

Anyway, I needed to write. It's been almost 3 months (cringe) and I recently read somewhere that the important thing is not to write/act/sing/whatever you enjoy doing/are passionate about just when you feel inspired, but also - and maybe more importantly - when there's nothing really egging you on. The state of affairs in Ghana can drain the very wind outta your sail. But keep pushing we must. If only the best birds sang, it would be a very silent forest. Time check 6.54pm in Accra, Ghana. Checking out and joining the march home.

Popular posts from this blog

World Water Day: Water - Ghana's "Forgotten Oil"

NB: This post is part of a GhanaBlogging event to commemorate World Water Day (March 22)  -- The word floating around in Ghanaian circles these days is oil. Since 'the great find' the hopes of numerous Ghanaians have been buoyed and politicians are having quite the field day using the 'expected oil revenues' as bargaining chips for one thing or the other. I don't share in that optimism, hence my delay in writing about Ghana's "oil miracle". Instead, I'm focused on another precious resource, one that has unfortunately become more of a commodity than a right. Water. Science tells us that water and oil don't mesh together. They just don't. But if what the analysts are saying is correct, the two might have more in common than we think. At the rate things are going, water is becoming increasingly scarce. So much to the point where it's expected that water could be the next oil : a precious element in the hands of few. Unless Ghana realign...

Lifestylz GH Interview: Sangu Delle

As part of Lifestylz GH’s interview series, we bring you our premier interview with Sangu Delle. Profile: Sangu Delle Sangu Delle is a senior at Harvard University. He was born and raised in Ghana, and is the youngest of five children in a bi-religious family (his father is Catholic while his mum is Muslim). He attended Christ the King Catholic School (CTK) and went on to study at the Ghana International School (GIS) until his O-Levels when he transferred to the Peddie School (a college preparatory school in NJ) on scholarship. His areas of concentration in academics are Economics and African studies, with a particular focus on development. Aspirations To be involved in the development of Ghana and Africa at large in some capacity. In the past, he was more involved in non-profit and development work, but has increasingly become active in entrepreneurial and business ventures; a testament to his belief that there should be “less foundations and more entrepreneurs” in Africa. In his own ...

Circum-Alert: Taking Accra By Storm, Chale Wote Style!

A free urban arts festival, the Chale Wote Street Art Festival could soon be the in-thing on the GH street arts scene. Co-sponsored by ACCRA [dot] ALT , The French Embassy (in Ghana) and Institut Francais, the first edition of the soon-to-be annual international festival will take place on July 16, 2011 in the Jamestown community of downtown Accra from 10am till 10pm. The event is the brainchild of Mantse Aryeequaye (an independent filmmaker) and Dr. Sionne Neely (a researcher and writer); both coordinators of ACCRA [dot] ALT.   In the words of the organizers, its purpose is “to promote the exhibition of alternative art in Ghana and to nurture an appreciation for different kinds of art among Ghanaians.” The first time I read about the Chale Wote Street Art Festival, I thought: interesting name. The second time around during GhanaBlogging ’s July meetup over the weekend, I got a peek at the schedule of events and thought, interesting concept/project!   Now, after some m...