I just had to put a quick plug in for the amazing Sherifa Gunu, a great singer from Northern Ghana. While she's pretty well known up North, Southern Ghana is just getting a glimpse of all she has to offer. From what I hear, she's been at this for quite a long time and I believe her time has come to shine. I think her flavor and style is different and helps showcase just how diverse Ghanaian culture and music is! Plus, she has a great message in her music usually centered on love, unity and togetherness. So, if you're looking to hear something slightly different from Ghana, in Dagbani rather than mainly Twi, Ga or Ewe, here's someone to check out. Find her latest video "Mbrantie" below as well as a couple others (including collabos). Enjoy!
NB: This post is part of a GhanaBlogging event to commemorate World Water Day (March 22) -- The word floating around in Ghanaian circles these days is oil. Since 'the great find' the hopes of numerous Ghanaians have been buoyed and politicians are having quite the field day using the 'expected oil revenues' as bargaining chips for one thing or the other. I don't share in that optimism, hence my delay in writing about Ghana's "oil miracle". Instead, I'm focused on another precious resource, one that has unfortunately become more of a commodity than a right. Water. Science tells us that water and oil don't mesh together. They just don't. But if what the analysts are saying is correct, the two might have more in common than we think. At the rate things are going, water is becoming increasingly scarce. So much to the point where it's expected that water could be the next oil : a precious element in the hands of few. Unless Ghana realign...
