Skip to main content

Poetry/Prose: A Million Falls

If only for the euphoria of picking myself up.
Of putting back the pieces and dusting off the past.
If only for the chance of the faintest sliver of hope in the darkest of hours.
To be able to say, "That was then. This is now."
For just the weightless air in my lungs, I'd risk a million falls.

For looking back and seeing growth littered all over my path.
For the opportunity to triumphantly declare, "I have overcome."
To wake up one day and know without a doubt: everything's gonna be just fine.
Or wiping that final tear and staring challenge defiantly in the face
For naught more than the beat of my heart, I'd risk a million falls.

For that larger than life experience.
Of stepping outside my mind; observing from the universe's eye.
Of watching as the pieces fall effortlessly into place.
To welcome myself into the silent recesses of my soul.
For the dawn of understanding about my vulnerability and insignificance, I'd risk a million falls.

To be able to find and sustain my rhythm after wandering confused through time and space.
For excitement coursing through the fiber of my being, at recognizing myself in others,
Of instinctively knowing "This is who I'm meant to be, this is what I was born to do."
To go through the trials and mistakes, weary and hurting, then finally coming home where I belong.
For a second of a dream realized, I'd risk a million falls.

To find laughter in a flood of tears, for that pulsating warmth from my very core,
For realizing a split-second later that that joy is all 'cos of ME!
Of understanding my foibles and embracing my quirks,
To be able to predict my actions, yet surprise myself beyond comprehension.
For the indescribable blessing of loving myself, I'd risk a million falls.

For endless opportunities to experience gratitude.
And failing to conclude each time I embark on counting my blessings
To hear that voice from the midst of nowhere: "You're here. Now. That's more than enough."
And feeling peace descend right after that
To encounter daily reminders of things to be thankful for, I'd risk a million falls.

Popular posts from this blog

World Water Day: Water - Ghana's "Forgotten Oil"

NB: This post is part of a GhanaBlogging event to commemorate World Water Day (March 22)  -- The word floating around in Ghanaian circles these days is oil. Since 'the great find' the hopes of numerous Ghanaians have been buoyed and politicians are having quite the field day using the 'expected oil revenues' as bargaining chips for one thing or the other. I don't share in that optimism, hence my delay in writing about Ghana's "oil miracle". Instead, I'm focused on another precious resource, one that has unfortunately become more of a commodity than a right. Water. Science tells us that water and oil don't mesh together. They just don't. But if what the analysts are saying is correct, the two might have more in common than we think. At the rate things are going, water is becoming increasingly scarce. So much to the point where it's expected that water could be the next oil : a precious element in the hands of few. Unless Ghana realign...

Lifestylz GH Interview: Sangu Delle

As part of Lifestylz GH’s interview series, we bring you our premier interview with Sangu Delle. Profile: Sangu Delle Sangu Delle is a senior at Harvard University. He was born and raised in Ghana, and is the youngest of five children in a bi-religious family (his father is Catholic while his mum is Muslim). He attended Christ the King Catholic School (CTK) and went on to study at the Ghana International School (GIS) until his O-Levels when he transferred to the Peddie School (a college preparatory school in NJ) on scholarship. His areas of concentration in academics are Economics and African studies, with a particular focus on development. Aspirations To be involved in the development of Ghana and Africa at large in some capacity. In the past, he was more involved in non-profit and development work, but has increasingly become active in entrepreneurial and business ventures; a testament to his belief that there should be “less foundations and more entrepreneurs” in Africa. In his own ...

Circum-Alert: Taking Accra By Storm, Chale Wote Style!

A free urban arts festival, the Chale Wote Street Art Festival could soon be the in-thing on the GH street arts scene. Co-sponsored by ACCRA [dot] ALT , The French Embassy (in Ghana) and Institut Francais, the first edition of the soon-to-be annual international festival will take place on July 16, 2011 in the Jamestown community of downtown Accra from 10am till 10pm. The event is the brainchild of Mantse Aryeequaye (an independent filmmaker) and Dr. Sionne Neely (a researcher and writer); both coordinators of ACCRA [dot] ALT.   In the words of the organizers, its purpose is “to promote the exhibition of alternative art in Ghana and to nurture an appreciation for different kinds of art among Ghanaians.” The first time I read about the Chale Wote Street Art Festival, I thought: interesting name. The second time around during GhanaBlogging ’s July meetup over the weekend, I got a peek at the schedule of events and thought, interesting concept/project!   Now, after some m...