Skip to main content

Circum-Flash


Eid
So it's Eid in Ghana today, and it's also Kwame Nkrumah's birthday!! Talk about celebration and holidays!!! Eid was yesterday here in the US and in most parts of the world, and I had a pretty memorable Eid. Spent it with family in Virginia, and boy, what an interesting time it was. Showing on the T.V. was a Nigerian Cable Channel, and it was really interesting to see all the news segments commemorating Eid in the various Nigerian states. I even got a glimpse of my birth town Kaduna, which I definitely need to visit soon. I also got a chance to see my "husband" and other cousins. Gosh, the last time I saw him, he was shorter than me, and now, he's towering over me! It was quite the surreal moment lol.

My Ramadan Experience
On one of my posts on Ramadan, someone asked what I hoped to achieve throughout the Holy month. Basically, my goal was to reflect on my life, on the Qu'ran and on the teachings of Islam. I got a new Qu'ran before Ramadan started in order to literally study the Qu'ran. Sure, I've been studying it since I was younger, but it was generally in Arabic. This time around, I wanted to understand the words (in English) and determine what significance the words have to my life. I must say, it went pretty well, and the moments of peace I felt throughout Ramadan are ones I wouldn't exchange for anything. Ramadan is over, but I still intend to continue with studying the Qu'ran and inshallah, I will learn a whole lot more! :)

Al-Jazeerah: Trafigura's toxic waste in Ivory Coast
So aside the munchies, what else was interesting about Eid? Al-Jazeerah. Some inhabitants of Abidjan have filed a suit against an oil company Trafigura which apparently dumped its toxic waste in their environment, and this has led to a whole bunch of health-related problems for about 3100 inhabitants. The UN estimates that the toxic waste could also be responsible for the death of about 15 people in the area. Of course, the company denies any responsibility for this - nothing new there- but has agreed to compensate the people (guilty conscience obviously). The compensation of about 1000 pounds per complainant is however deemed meagre by many. Anyways, I'm not gonna go into a detailed analysis on this, lol, this is supposed to be a personal post. You can read on the Trafigura case on the BBC website. Now back to Al-Jazeerah. While most of the western media just touches on issues related to Africa and the developing world, Al-Jazeerah apparently does a more detailed analysis on issues. Yesterday was the  first time I actually watched more than 10 minutes of the channel, and it was a breath of fresh air from the usual stuff. Will definitely recommend watching or following the channel, especially if you want different sides to one story. Here's the Al-Jazeerah English website.

Intellectual Talk on Development
A couple of days ago I went to a friend's birthday get-together, and I must say, sometimes you're just bound to meet certain people in your lifetime. Turns out if we hadn't met at this particular gathering, we probably would have met elsewhere. I met a bunch of interesting and amazing individuals and we had a really stimulating conversation about...take a wild guess...development!! I am definitely looking forward to interacting with more interesting and open-minded people, and I believe DC is the place to be when it comes to global issues.

New Blog Alert: La Romanessence
Now to another thing that's global. Relationships. I got a notification that another person was "following" my blog, and as I always do, I perused this 'newcomer'. Turns out the blogger actually is a newcomer, since he/she just has a couple of posts, but what stood out to me the most was how extremely personal the posts are. The blog, "La Romanessence", seems to be focused primarily on relationships, and in the author's own words "We're all romantics, and the essence of life is love." I definitely concur on that one, and I'm looking forward to reading more of the posts on La Romanessence. So, if you're a self-proclaimed 'romantic' or are just curious, check out La Romanessence.

Comments

  1. this is really a flash...interesting. I have always watched Aljazeera from the time I wake up to six am before the TV Station changes to CNN. It really is an interesting station and they really give insights to issues...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

World Water Day: Water - Ghana's "Forgotten Oil"

NB: This post is part of a GhanaBlogging event to commemorate World Water Day (March 22)  -- The word floating around in Ghanaian circles these days is oil. Since 'the great find' the hopes of numerous Ghanaians have been buoyed and politicians are having quite the field day using the 'expected oil revenues' as bargaining chips for one thing or the other. I don't share in that optimism, hence my delay in writing about Ghana's "oil miracle". Instead, I'm focused on another precious resource, one that has unfortunately become more of a commodity than a right. Water. Science tells us that water and oil don't mesh together. They just don't. But if what the analysts are saying is correct, the two might have more in common than we think. At the rate things are going, water is becoming increasingly scarce. So much to the point where it's expected that water could be the next oil : a precious element in the hands of few. Unless Ghana realign...

Lifestylz GH Interview: Sangu Delle

As part of Lifestylz GH’s interview series, we bring you our premier interview with Sangu Delle. Profile: Sangu Delle Sangu Delle is a senior at Harvard University. He was born and raised in Ghana, and is the youngest of five children in a bi-religious family (his father is Catholic while his mum is Muslim). He attended Christ the King Catholic School (CTK) and went on to study at the Ghana International School (GIS) until his O-Levels when he transferred to the Peddie School (a college preparatory school in NJ) on scholarship. His areas of concentration in academics are Economics and African studies, with a particular focus on development. Aspirations To be involved in the development of Ghana and Africa at large in some capacity. In the past, he was more involved in non-profit and development work, but has increasingly become active in entrepreneurial and business ventures; a testament to his belief that there should be “less foundations and more entrepreneurs” in Africa. In his own ...

Ghana's Komla Dumor - Insights on Courage & Embarking on the Narrow Path [Tribute]

Source: Komla Dumor's Facebook Page "There's so much more to tell about Africa than the usual stories about war, famine and disease." Komla Dumor. Son, husband, father, Ghana's "Boss Player", Africa's storyteller, BBC World News broadcaster, inspiration - courage personified. If anyone had told me that Komla Dumor's Black Star would burst out into eternity on January 18, 2014, I would have called them a liar and then some. His 41 years of life might seem "short" to many of us, but from all indications, this amazing soul found it more than enough for doing what he set out to do: to be a journalist of the highest order and to contribute towards telling Africa's stories. His awards, accolades and  accomplishments  are well recorded - perhaps more so after his untimely demise yesterday from a cardiac arrest in London - and numerous people are sharing their condolences and tributes on social media with variations of the hash...