Skip to main content

Something Different in Staying True

I've been feeling a pull for a while now. A pull towards something else. Something new. Something different. A pull to writing about something non-developmental. Sure development will always be a part of who I am, and inshallah I will pursue my career in that area. But right now, writing about development is missing something important. I feel like I'm at a different point in life right now, and since I've always pulled my inspiration from the immediate things going on in my life, it's kind of hard to continue on the "serious" stuff when I'm not in a straight-jacket academic setting anymore. And I have thought about this one long and hard. I question myself: if I'm not getting the kind of satisfaction I usually get from doing something, should I still do it? And I argue with myself: people expect you to write about this stuff, and some actually encourage you to do so, and learn from some of the stuff, and you learn so much too. True. And I believe in sharing information. But right now, I feel like I need to shift back to more personal writing; which is where this entire blogging experience started from anyway. I feel like serious changes are going on within me, and I need to process that. Does that mean I won't talk about Ghana or development at all? Of course not. Those will always show up somehow because they are a part of who I am. But right now, I feel like I need to do something different. I have realized that I enjoy doing reviews. And I love writing random thoughts and opinions on random incidents. And more now than ever, I believe in the power of sharing our respective stories. So after days and nights of back and forth with myself, we have decided to remain true, and let the winds of change blow us where they will. We are still staying true to the mission of this blog: to inform and share. And we're working on making this blog more navigable so you can access what you want, when you want. But for now, it's just going to be something different. And who knows? Might just turn out to be an exciting adventure. :) Hope you'll stick with us in this next lap of the journey.

Comments

  1. I love personal writings :-p & like Coelho says "follow ur personal legend & listen to your heart". If it tells you to take a break from Development for a while go for it, we can always check the "Economist" if we miss it too much :-p

    ReplyDelete
  2. If anything, development occurs when individuals have varied experiences and new ideas. Experience all that excites you!(but do not be in awe of it).

    Maybe these new experiences, may give you greater insights...??


    all the best

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

World Water Day: Water - Ghana's "Forgotten Oil"

NB: This post is part of a GhanaBlogging event to commemorate World Water Day (March 22)  -- The word floating around in Ghanaian circles these days is oil. Since 'the great find' the hopes of numerous Ghanaians have been buoyed and politicians are having quite the field day using the 'expected oil revenues' as bargaining chips for one thing or the other. I don't share in that optimism, hence my delay in writing about Ghana's "oil miracle". Instead, I'm focused on another precious resource, one that has unfortunately become more of a commodity than a right. Water. Science tells us that water and oil don't mesh together. They just don't. But if what the analysts are saying is correct, the two might have more in common than we think. At the rate things are going, water is becoming increasingly scarce. So much to the point where it's expected that water could be the next oil : a precious element in the hands of few. Unless Ghana realign...

Lifestylz GH Interview: Sangu Delle

As part of Lifestylz GH’s interview series, we bring you our premier interview with Sangu Delle. Profile: Sangu Delle Sangu Delle is a senior at Harvard University. He was born and raised in Ghana, and is the youngest of five children in a bi-religious family (his father is Catholic while his mum is Muslim). He attended Christ the King Catholic School (CTK) and went on to study at the Ghana International School (GIS) until his O-Levels when he transferred to the Peddie School (a college preparatory school in NJ) on scholarship. His areas of concentration in academics are Economics and African studies, with a particular focus on development. Aspirations To be involved in the development of Ghana and Africa at large in some capacity. In the past, he was more involved in non-profit and development work, but has increasingly become active in entrepreneurial and business ventures; a testament to his belief that there should be “less foundations and more entrepreneurs” in Africa. In his own ...

Ghana's Komla Dumor - Insights on Courage & Embarking on the Narrow Path [Tribute]

Source: Komla Dumor's Facebook Page "There's so much more to tell about Africa than the usual stories about war, famine and disease." Komla Dumor. Son, husband, father, Ghana's "Boss Player", Africa's storyteller, BBC World News broadcaster, inspiration - courage personified. If anyone had told me that Komla Dumor's Black Star would burst out into eternity on January 18, 2014, I would have called them a liar and then some. His 41 years of life might seem "short" to many of us, but from all indications, this amazing soul found it more than enough for doing what he set out to do: to be a journalist of the highest order and to contribute towards telling Africa's stories. His awards, accolades and  accomplishments  are well recorded - perhaps more so after his untimely demise yesterday from a cardiac arrest in London - and numerous people are sharing their condolences and tributes on social media with variations of the hash...