Skip to main content

Family & Friends (Afi Writes...)

Dear Diary,


It’s kind of hard being second to last amongst nine siblings, you know? By the time you have learnt to ride a bike, seven others would have already done it. Your ‘great achievement’ would only bring back fond memories of the time Juma rode hers, or the zillion times Hisham fell off his, before finally getting it right. Humph! Hel-lo! News flash: this is MY big moment!


Funny. I cannot even enjoy my place down the line in peace. I cannot suck on my thumb, or slurp my ice cream, because Karima might be watching, and “big sister is supposed to be a better example”. Big sister? The older child?

  • “Mummy, can I stay up and watch the 10:30 movie?”
  • “No, Lilly. It’s rated PG13. You are only 12 and a half”.

Humph! So what am I? Old or young? Pretty confusing.


Even the coolest names got snagged before my time. For the first three kids, Mummy was in her prim and proper, formal mode: Juma, Hisham, Awuresi. Lovely. For the next four, she went all hip-hop, African-American: Lamar, Dorrell, DeShawn, and Shaniquah. For her baby, Mummy did the cutie: Leila. Think Leila, and you have thick, curly, jet black hair, flawless dark brown skin, clear brown eyes, and cute pink lips. A real Nubian princess. Then there is me. Lilly. WHY??? I always picture a filthy, toad-populated pond, all green and slimy with one lily pad afloat on the waters. Me. I once told Mummy that. Know what she said?

-“That’s really good, Lil. You see yourself as the one beautiful thing Mother Nature created”.

Like I had really expected her to understand. No one does.


Oh, well. Things won’t always be this way. When we are all grown and married with really cool \jobs , our places in the line wouldn’t matter any more. For now, I’ll just go with the flow; and when I think the best is yet to come… I smile.


OBSERVATION:

Having siblings doesn’t necessarily have to be a bad thing. Aside having someone to talk to, share with and suffer with, having siblings helps keep everyone on their toes. Your elder brother or sister sets a record; you either maintain it or break it. Aside that, having siblings not only prepares you for the real world by way of having to interact with other people, but also serves as a storeroom of joyful and sad moments shared.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

World Water Day: Water - Ghana's "Forgotten Oil"

NB: This post is part of a GhanaBlogging event to commemorate World Water Day (March 22)  -- The word floating around in Ghanaian circles these days is oil. Since 'the great find' the hopes of numerous Ghanaians have been buoyed and politicians are having quite the field day using the 'expected oil revenues' as bargaining chips for one thing or the other. I don't share in that optimism, hence my delay in writing about Ghana's "oil miracle". Instead, I'm focused on another precious resource, one that has unfortunately become more of a commodity than a right. Water. Science tells us that water and oil don't mesh together. They just don't. But if what the analysts are saying is correct, the two might have more in common than we think. At the rate things are going, water is becoming increasingly scarce. So much to the point where it's expected that water could be the next oil : a precious element in the hands of few. Unless Ghana realign...

Lifestylz GH Interview: Sangu Delle

As part of Lifestylz GH’s interview series, we bring you our premier interview with Sangu Delle. Profile: Sangu Delle Sangu Delle is a senior at Harvard University. He was born and raised in Ghana, and is the youngest of five children in a bi-religious family (his father is Catholic while his mum is Muslim). He attended Christ the King Catholic School (CTK) and went on to study at the Ghana International School (GIS) until his O-Levels when he transferred to the Peddie School (a college preparatory school in NJ) on scholarship. His areas of concentration in academics are Economics and African studies, with a particular focus on development. Aspirations To be involved in the development of Ghana and Africa at large in some capacity. In the past, he was more involved in non-profit and development work, but has increasingly become active in entrepreneurial and business ventures; a testament to his belief that there should be “less foundations and more entrepreneurs” in Africa. In his own ...

Circum-Alert: Taking Accra By Storm, Chale Wote Style!

A free urban arts festival, the Chale Wote Street Art Festival could soon be the in-thing on the GH street arts scene. Co-sponsored by ACCRA [dot] ALT , The French Embassy (in Ghana) and Institut Francais, the first edition of the soon-to-be annual international festival will take place on July 16, 2011 in the Jamestown community of downtown Accra from 10am till 10pm. The event is the brainchild of Mantse Aryeequaye (an independent filmmaker) and Dr. Sionne Neely (a researcher and writer); both coordinators of ACCRA [dot] ALT.   In the words of the organizers, its purpose is “to promote the exhibition of alternative art in Ghana and to nurture an appreciation for different kinds of art among Ghanaians.” The first time I read about the Chale Wote Street Art Festival, I thought: interesting name. The second time around during GhanaBlogging ’s July meetup over the weekend, I got a peek at the schedule of events and thought, interesting concept/project!   Now, after some m...