Skip to main content

Factors or Underlying Factors

Okay, so I was just going through old mails and came across these essays I wrote for college applications. Vraiment interessant.


More often than not people concentrate on the facts of an issue rather than on the underlying factors. This in my opinion is just a clear instance of pure human nature at work. As a result I do not find it in the least surprising that I have never thought to ask my parents or anyone else for that matter, the circumstances surrounding my birth-whether it was a rainy day, sunny day, a normal day or one of those days when everything seems out of place. However, I am aware that I came into this world with all its mysteries on the 20th of July, 1986 . I was born in Kaduna , a Northern state of Nigeria , the first born of my parents, Mr. and Mrs. Abdulai.


Essentially, I have had a pretty secure home life with all the basic necessities well provided for. Moreover, I have been exposed to certain situations which I believe help shape my life and help gear me towards my ultimate goal in life. The mind boggling question at hand however is, what is that ultimate goal of my life? I remember quite well when I was about to go into Senior Secondary School, as the high school system is termed in Ghana, and I had to decide on which academic program I wanted to pursue. The range of choices being General Arts (Humanities), Science, Business and Visual Arts. I had a pretty hard time making that decision, mainly because I could easily envision myself doing just fine in any of the academic programs. My mother’s summary of the situation was in these simple words: “She’s an all-round person; she’ll fit into any of them.” I did not realize at that time the impact those words had on me. At the end of my schooling in Wesley Girls’ High School, I was adjudged and awarded (by my classmates) a certificate for being the all-round student of the 2003/2004 year group.


Between being club executive to two clubs in the school, being a house executive for entertainment, working as a Peer Counselor for the school, working as the Computer Lab Manageress, playing basketball, football and handball, and trying to keep my grades up, I had a pretty fulfilling life in high school. And now that I am in at another crucial point in my life, I ask myself whether the realization that I could do and be anything I wanted to was actually a blessing or a curse in disguise. It’s potential as a curse being that I wouldn’t know what exactly my ultimate goal in life would be.


I believe in using one’s opportunities as they come as wasting time could be crucial and have a long run effect on a person’s situation. Aside that, considering the level of development in my country Ghana , I find it even more essential that I make the right decisions in certain aspects of my life. Decisions that other teenagers my age might consider trivial, but which, if not taken seriously, could very well make or mar the future of my country. You could call this deep thinking, personal ambitions, or unrealistic dreams but I can assure you that this is an example of a situation where most people would contemplate just the concrete facts: I’m good in this, but better in that, and not so much as consider the underlying factors: Should I choose this over that, how would it improve my life or the life of another?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

World Water Day: Water - Ghana's "Forgotten Oil"

NB: This post is part of a GhanaBlogging event to commemorate World Water Day (March 22)  -- The word floating around in Ghanaian circles these days is oil. Since 'the great find' the hopes of numerous Ghanaians have been buoyed and politicians are having quite the field day using the 'expected oil revenues' as bargaining chips for one thing or the other. I don't share in that optimism, hence my delay in writing about Ghana's "oil miracle". Instead, I'm focused on another precious resource, one that has unfortunately become more of a commodity than a right. Water. Science tells us that water and oil don't mesh together. They just don't. But if what the analysts are saying is correct, the two might have more in common than we think. At the rate things are going, water is becoming increasingly scarce. So much to the point where it's expected that water could be the next oil : a precious element in the hands of few. Unless Ghana realign...

Lifestylz GH Interview: Sangu Delle

As part of Lifestylz GH’s interview series, we bring you our premier interview with Sangu Delle. Profile: Sangu Delle Sangu Delle is a senior at Harvard University. He was born and raised in Ghana, and is the youngest of five children in a bi-religious family (his father is Catholic while his mum is Muslim). He attended Christ the King Catholic School (CTK) and went on to study at the Ghana International School (GIS) until his O-Levels when he transferred to the Peddie School (a college preparatory school in NJ) on scholarship. His areas of concentration in academics are Economics and African studies, with a particular focus on development. Aspirations To be involved in the development of Ghana and Africa at large in some capacity. In the past, he was more involved in non-profit and development work, but has increasingly become active in entrepreneurial and business ventures; a testament to his belief that there should be “less foundations and more entrepreneurs” in Africa. In his own ...

Ghana's Komla Dumor - Insights on Courage & Embarking on the Narrow Path [Tribute]

Source: Komla Dumor's Facebook Page "There's so much more to tell about Africa than the usual stories about war, famine and disease." Komla Dumor. Son, husband, father, Ghana's "Boss Player", Africa's storyteller, BBC World News broadcaster, inspiration - courage personified. If anyone had told me that Komla Dumor's Black Star would burst out into eternity on January 18, 2014, I would have called them a liar and then some. His 41 years of life might seem "short" to many of us, but from all indications, this amazing soul found it more than enough for doing what he set out to do: to be a journalist of the highest order and to contribute towards telling Africa's stories. His awards, accolades and  accomplishments  are well recorded - perhaps more so after his untimely demise yesterday from a cardiac arrest in London - and numerous people are sharing their condolences and tributes on social media with variations of the hash...